[gothic-l] Re: Dirk's dangerous amateurs

Troels Brandt trbrandt at POST9.TELE.DK
Thu Jul 19 11:05:43 UTC 2001

--- In gothic-l at y..., dirk at s... wrote:

> Hi Troels,
>
> I agree with you, but I think that such a discussion list should
also
> be open to people like me, who have not the time, knowledge and
> resources to conduct thorough research in these matters and who
will
> necessarily have to rely on the works of others.
>
> cheers,
> Dirk

Certainly - and I still think were are in the same boat.

The scholars have their own closed lists and networks, but this list
is for all categories - hopefully also sometimes bringing the
professionals inspiration across the limits of their scholarly areas.

I only reacted on your remarks about Herulian religion. As you are
normally much more serious and provide us with a lot of valuable
information, your guesswork about the Heruls (I am sure you have
never read that anywhere) would get more weight that it deserved.

I know you are mostly reading about archaeology and ethnography, but
still for your own entertainment: Read a bit of Procopius. Dewing has
a name index making it possible for you to select areas of your
interest. He is a good reporter of his time - probably not so much
worse than some of our own journalists from the magazines - but he is
of course manipulating.

Troels