[gothic-l] Re: Dirk's dangerous amateurs

dirk at SMRA.CO.UK dirk at SMRA.CO.UK
Thu Jul 19 12:55:17 UTC 2001

--- In gothic-l at y..., "Troels Brandt" <trbrandt at p...> wrote:
> --- In gothic-l at y..., dirk at s... wrote:
>

> > Hi Troels,
> >
> > I agree with you, but I think that such a discussion list should
> also
> > be open to people like me, who have not the time, knowledge and
> > resources to conduct thorough research in these matters and who
> will
> > necessarily have to rely on the works of others.
> >
> > cheers,
> > Dirk
>
> Certainly - and I still think were are in the same boat.

Hi Troels,

I very much hope so.

> The scholars have their own closed lists and networks, but this list
> is for all categories - hopefully also sometimes bringing the
> professionals inspiration across the limits of their scholarly
areas.

The way I see it, we have at least one professional on this list and
many extremely well informed amateurs (i.e. lovers of the subect) as
well as people like myself who have only a limited knowledge of the
subject, but who are equally interested in it.

> I only reacted on your remarks about Herulian religion. As you are
> normally much more serious and provide us with a lot of valuable
> information, your guesswork about the Heruls (I am sure you have
> never read that anywhere) would get more weight that it deserved.

I read that the Langobards adopted Christianity in the Pannonian areas
and as they had come there later than the Heruls I concluded -probably
too hastily- that the Heruls may have influenced their subjects. One
should be allowed to draw a wrong conclusion. I still find it
remarkable if the Heruls maintained paganism at such a late date in
that area and I did no say that I read this, but that was my own
opinion.

> I know you are mostly reading about archaeology and ethnography, but
> still for your own entertainment: Read a bit of Procopius. Dewing
has
> a name index making it possible for you to select areas of your
> interest. He is a good reporter of his time - probably not so much
> worse than some of our own journalists from the magazines - but he
is
> of course manipulating.

I admitt I have not read Procopius himself, I only had a brief go at
some of the interpretations of him, which seem,however, to vary
widely.

cheers