[gothic-l] Re: To Dirk and Tore

malmqvist52 at YAHOO.SE malmqvist52 at YAHOO.SE
Thu Jul 19 21:38:44 UTC 2001

--- In gothic-l at y..., "sunburst" <sunburst at j...> wrote:
> >I don't think it's impossible that the germanic words gud,gott,god
> >etc. could be from the god Gaut which was worshipped by many
germanic
> >tribes. Ingemar Nordgen even writes that this god's name could be
> >pronounced in a number of variants. eg one with a soft d  close to
> >lisp-sound.
>

>  A common Germanic word springing from a different root than
*Gautaz, but
> which nevertheless seems as though it might in some way have
originally been
> associated
> with *Gautaz, even if only metaphysically or through ancient folk
etymology,
> is the word
> for a higher, divine and worshipful being, "god;" Goth guð, AS, OS,
OFris
> god, OHG cot,
> O Norse goð; Swed, Dan gud, MHG god.

Puh, long sentence to read- Is this prooved? Could you please give me
the reference for this? Could you also please explain what you mean
by "metaphysically or through ancient folk etymology"? How would it
be different from "normal ethymology"
  Originally, the Germanic forms of this
> word
> derrive from PIE *gheu, and from it forms gydig, NE giddy, "insane,
> possessed by a god."  Note that *Gautaz derrives from *gheu,
suggesting the
> possibilty of an original connection between the words Gaut and god.

Thank you, at last someone agees with me on one point
> >Dirk, I assumed you wanted a good explanation of the name Odin in
> >semitic. I'm not really certain (of course!). But my fabulation
> >is ... as it is pronounced in hebrew it means Waw Dalet-yod-
> >nun "(and) he governs "
>

> Odin and the runes most obviously have nothing to do with semetic.

So, now i know that:-).