[gothic-l] Re: To Dirk and Tore

sunburst sunburst at JETSTREAM.NET
Thu Jul 19 22:26:29 UTC 2001

>Puh, long sentence to read- Is this prooved? Could you please give me
>the reference for this? Could you also please explain what you mean
>by "metaphysically or through ancient folk etymology"? How would it
>be different from "normal ethymology"

See the _Encyclopedia of Indo-European Culture_ edited by JP Malory and DQ
Adams, Fitzroy Dearborn Publishers, 1999.  By folk etymology I mean that
ancient people had neither lingusitics books and courses nor etymological
dictionaries, and therefore in ancient times, for example, two similar words
which actually came from different roots could be missunderstood to have
been either the same word or related, and therefore used interchangeably.
Through folk etymology (meaning usually incorrect etmology, at least from a
technical perspective), two unrelated words could come to mean the same
thing in the ancient usage.  While such would be incorrect for the modern
scholar, who knows the roots, it would have been correct to the ancient
people who used the words and did not know the roots.

Albareiks