[gothic-l] Re: Illerup objects with runes. to Tore

dirk at SMRA.CO.UK dirk at SMRA.CO.UK
Fri Jul 20 07:49:16 UTC 2001

--- In gothic-l at y..., Tore Gannholm <tore.gannholm at s...> wrote:
> Hello Dirk,
> I don't know what evidence Wolfram has for 1490 BC. Jordanes does
not
> mention any year.

Hello Tore,

Jordanes does mention a year. From Andreas' message 4588:

"Jordanes, Getica, 25 and 94 f. and his own introduction to "Typen der
Ethnogenese"(vol.1, Wien 1990, p.26) as further literature. There he
also cites Jordanes, Getica, 313, and  here you will find that
Jordanes gives the duration of the Gothic kingship with 2030 years,
ending in 540 AD with the capitulation of Witigis:

Et sic famosum regnum fortissimamque gentem diu regnantem tandem pene
duomillesimo et tricesimo anno victor gentium diversarum Iustinianus
imperator per fidelissimum consulem vicit Belesarium, et perductum
Vitiges Constantinopolim patricii honore donavit."

> From an archaeological point of view there is an emigration from
Gotland
> 4th and 3rd century BC. At the same time there are gravefields in
the
> Vistula area beginning at that time presumably Gothic.

If there was such a migration, which according to the archaeological
literature that I am familiar with is not the case, than it cannot be
linked to any timeframe given by Jordanes as he placed the
migration into the distant legendary past of 1490BC (which obviously
is pure fantasy).

Overall, we have been over that a hundred times and are not likely to
reach common ground.

cheers,