[gothic-l] Re: Gaut, Gapt

andreas.schwarcz at UNIVIE.AC.AT andreas.schwarcz at UNIVIE.AC.AT
Fri Jul 20 10:07:06 UTC 2001

On 19 Jul 2001, at 17:28, Le Bateman wrote:

> Please show me the original Latin sources which mention Oduin, I think
> this is the author's own conjectures. Tacitus refers to Mercurius and
> Mars. Even Jordanes uses the Latin names, Gregory of Tours, wrote
> about the Franks, not the Goths, even he used the Roman names for the
> native gods. Merurius, and Mars especially. Le

You will find the Comes Odoin  in Excerpta Valesiana II 68 f. and in
Auctarium Havniense sub anno 504. It is obviously phonetically the
same personal name as that of the Longobardic king Audoin.

> 107).
> > > (In Gregor of Tour's writings we find the PN Authari written as
> > > Aptacharius.) This is an important example of the practice. It
> > > surprises me that such an important example was not mentioned
> > > earlier. This is probably the Langobard king Authari who ruled
> > > from 584-590. Gregor of Tours (538-594) was his contemporary.
> > > Paulus Diaconus (725-795) writes the name as "Authari".
> >

> > To complicate things further, we must also take into account that
> > late antique and early medieval scibes did not distinguish between u
> > and v and used both letters either as vowels or as consonants. Thus
> > Rausus could have been spoken Rafsus and Raptus been spoken Raftus
> > or Rautus. And Gaut and Gapt could both have been spoken Gaut and
> > Gaft.
> >
> I really can't follow the logic here. Why would you write Raptus when
> it should be pronounced Rautus? Are these aknowleged latin spelling
> rules?

If you read Reichert´s article I posted and to which Keth repilied,
you will find that learned late antique Latin writers like Cassiodorus,
Jordanes and Gregory of Tours used a graecism, turning spoken
aut into written apt. See above the examples Authari-Aptacharius
or Gaut-Gapt.
Ao.Univ.Prof.Dr.Andreas Schwarcz
Institut für österreichische Geschichtsforschung
Universität Wien
Dr.Karl Lueger-Ring 1
A-1010 Wien
Österreich