[gothic-l] Re: Gaut, Gapt

malmqvist52 at YAHOO.SE malmqvist52 at YAHOO.SE
Fri Jul 20 10:59:00 UTC 2001

Hi Andreas,

--- In gothic-l at y..., andreas.schwarcz at u... wrote:
> On 19 Jul 2001, at 17:28, Le Bateman wrote:
>
> > Please show me the original Latin sources which mention Oduin, I
think
> > this is the author's own conjectures. Tacitus refers to Mercurius
and
> > Mars. Even Jordanes uses the Latin names, Gregory of Tours, wrote
> > about the Franks, not the Goths, even he used the Roman names for
the
> > native gods. Merurius, and Mars especially. Le
> >
> You will find the Comes Odoin  in Excerpta Valesiana II 68 f. and
in
> Auctarium Havniense sub anno 504. It is obviously phonetically the
> same personal name as that of the Longobardic king Audoin.
>
> > 107).
> > >

> > > To complicate things further, we must also take into account
that
> > > late antique and early medieval scibes did not distinguish
between u
> > > and v and used both letters either as vowels or as consonants.
Thus
> > > Rausus could have been spoken Rafsus and Raptus been spoken
Raftus
> > > or Rautus. And Gaut and Gapt could both have been spoken Gaut
and
> > > Gaft.
> > >
> > I really can't follow the logic here. Why would you write Raptus
when
> > it should be pronounced Rautus? Are these aknowleged latin
spelling
> > rules?
>
> If you read Reichert´s article I posted and to which Keth repilied,
> you will find that learned late antique Latin writers like
Cassiodorus,
> Jordanes and Gregory of Tours used a graecism, turning spoken
> aut into written apt. See above the examples Authari-Aptacharius
> or Gaut-Gapt.

I'm still not very impressed by Reichert article. He apparently wants
to make it likely that Gapt=Gaut, and can only find this one example
of his invented s. c. graecism.
By the way, how do we KNOW that Authari and Aptacharius are not two
different persons with differently derived names. This actually looks
more plausible to me.
Best wishes
Anders