[gothic-l] Re: Gaut, Gapt

andreas.schwarcz at UNIVIE.AC.AT andreas.schwarcz at UNIVIE.AC.AT
Fri Jul 20 13:03:54 UTC 2001

> I'm still not very impressed by Reichert article. He apparently wants
> to make it likely that Gapt=Gaut, and can only find this one example
> of his invented s. c. graecism. By the way, how do we KNOW that
> Authari and Aptacharius are not two different persons with differently
> derived names. This actually looks more plausible to me.  Best wishes
> Anders

Hi Anders,

sorry that you are not impressed, but that is no argument against
Reichert. We know that Authari and Aptacharius are not two
different persons, because we can read Gregory of Tours. There
you find in his Historia Francorum, X, 3:

At Aptacharius Langobardorum rex legationem ad Gunthchramnum
regem cum huiuscemodi verbis direxit...

This is Authari, king of the Longobards 584-590 AD. Guntchramn
was king from 561-592 AD. There are no other possibilities,
plausible or not.

Kind regards
                    Andreas Schwarcz

Ao.Univ.Prof.Dr.Andreas Schwarcz
Institut für österreichische Geschichtsforschung
Universität Wien
Dr.Karl Lueger-Ring 1
A-1010 Wien
Österreich