Comparing languages. Examples [gothic-l]

keth at ONLINE.NO keth at ONLINE.NO
Sun Jul 22 11:39:21 UTC 2001

Hi Cory!
Thank you for your response. But from what you write (below) it
appears as if you didn't have the great "aha" experience.
I suppose I made the mistake of explaining too much. Bairisch is
of course irrelevant. Below I have Dutch-German instead as example.
The point is that people just LOOK at the texts !!!    :)

You wrote:
>Hi Keth,
>Thank you for clearing that up.  I'm sure I'll ponder what you wrote for
>some time to come.
>Have a nice weekend,
>Cory

I repeat the two examples again. The point is just to compare. Keth.

Example 1.
Dutch text (Nederlands):
Vandaag heb ik de gehele dag getypt; toch ben ik niet vermoeid
omdat ik ook een wandeling gedaan heb.  (sample text of 18 words)

German translation of Dutch text:
Heute habe ich den ganzen Tag getippt; doch bin ich nicht müde
weil ich auch eine Wanderung getan habe.

Example 2.
Old Gutnish text:
Gutland hitti fyrsti maðr þann sum þjelvar hít. þá var
Gutland sá elvist at þet dagum sank ok nátum var uppi.