Comparing languages. Examples [gothic-l]

Cory B Strohmier corystrohmier at JUNO.COM
Tue Jul 24 02:15:05 UTC 2001

Hi Keth,
	"The great 'aha' experience?"  Are you slipping some Gothic in on us
here?
	The following quote from the book "A History of the German Language" by
John  T. Waterman (University of Washington Press) may help put the
matter in a clearer context:  "The reason for our difficulty, of course,
is that the conventional charting of the West Germanic family tree
depends for its validity upon findings which presumably prove that Old
High German and Old English, for example, have many more features in
common than, say, Old High German and Gothic.  But this is by no means so
certain; in fact, a careful tally reveals that the "West Germanic"
languages --- though admittedly having much in common --- may also in
several important features be paired separately with either the North or
the East Germanic languages, or both..."  (page 45).
	Below are three texts:  Old Bavarian, Gothic, and German.  If you just
look at the texts, just compare them, you'll see (perhaps even have "the
great 'aha' experience").
Gothically speaking,
Cory

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Old Bavarian text:
Fater unser, du pist in himilum, kawihit si namo din,
piqhueme richi din, wesa din willo, sama so in himile est, sama in erdu.
Gothic translation:
Fadar unsar, thu is in himinam, gaweihaith sijai namo thein,
biqimai reik thana, wesi thana wilja, sama swa in himina ist, sama ana
airthai.
German text:
Vater unser, du bist im Himmel, geweiht sei dein Name,
dein Reich komme, dein Wille waere, wie es ist im Himmel so auf Erden.