Comparing languages. Examples [gothic-l]

Cory B Strohmier corystrohmier at JUNO.COM
Tue Jul 24 05:46:33 UTC 2001

(Oops!  Sorry, I forgot some of the documentation.)

On Mon, 23 Jul 2001 22:15:05 -0400 Cory B Strohmier
<corystrohmier at juno.com> writes:
> Hi Keth,
> 	"The great 'aha' experience?"  Are you slipping some Gothic
> in on us here?
> 	The following quote from the book "A History of the German
> Language" by John  T. Waterman (University of Washington Press) may
> help put the matter in a clearer context:  "The reason for our
> difficulty, of course, is that the conventional charting of the West
> Germanic family tree depends for its validity upon findings which
> presumably prove that Old High German and Old English, for example,
> have many more features in common than, say, Old High German and
> Gothic.  But this is by no means so certain; in fact, a careful
> tally reveals that the "West Germanic" languages --- though
> admittedly having much in common --- may also in several important
> features be paired separately with either the North or the East
> Germanic languages, or both..."  (page 45).
> 	Below are three texts:  Old Bavarian, Gothic, and German.
> They may help to show the closeness of the three languages.
> Cory

> Old Bavarian text:
(This is the original text from "A History of the German Language"
by John T. Waterman, page 81.)