Comparing languages. Examples [gothic-l]

keth at ONLINE.NO keth at ONLINE.NO
Tue Jul 24 12:54:05 UTC 2001

Hi Cory!
Thank you for your reply!
My objection is methodological:   :)
You compare 3 samples from 3 related languges at vastly
different points in time. Since modern German is direct descendant
of Old High German, but separated by a thousand years, it does not
belong in the comparison. Gothic from ca.350 AD  with Old High German
from ca. 950, is also a wide separation.

In my examples I did something entirely different.
I compared Gutnish (by an example sentence) from ca. 1350
with Icelandic, also from ca. 1350.

Then as a control I also compared modern German with modern Dutch,
because those are living languages today and many people who
have visited both countries are intrigued by the question how
close they are. Well, in my opinion Dutch and German are not
*very close. Because a speaker of one of the two languages does not
automatically understand the other language. It takes a while to become
accustomed. That is different between f.ex. Norwegian and Danish
which are virtually the same language. Or even Swedish.
Modern Icelandic is, however, considerably further away - because the
languages have drifted apart over the last 700 years. And it is the
Scandinavian languages that have done most of the drifting.
But if you have chance to ask an Icelander how close he feels
that Old Gutnic is to Icelandic, then that would, I think, be the best test
that one could devise. Because only a very seasoned user of one
of the two languages that are being compared, can directly "feel"
how far the languages are apart. And that is, in my opinion,
that which counts.

Best regards
Keth