[gothic-l] Re: Harlingen (was Gothic)

keth at ONLINE.NO keth at ONLINE.NO
Mon Jul 23 14:15:50 UTC 2001

>--- In gothic-l at y..., dirk at s... wrote:
>
>> However, somebody on this list once suggested that they should
>> really be called Erils, which I could however not follow. One
>> indication may be the placename Harlingen in Frisia, which is
>> also attested as Herulingo and Herlingo and which is supposed to
>have
>> been derived from the western Heruls.
>
>Hi Dirk
>
>At my map there is a town in Netherland north of Ijsselmeer called
>Harlingen and a region in Ostfriesland, Germany called Harlinger
>Land. Are both names of the same origin?
>
>Troels

Hei Troels!

I find Harlingen 26 kilometers almost straight West from
Leeuwarden, which is the capital of the Dutch province
(one of the 11) of Friesland. It lies on the coast jjust
about 9 kilometers Nort of the point where the large
"Afsluitdijk" connects to the Frisian side of the Ijssel-
meer. There is also a "Harlingerland" just outside
Willemshafen about 50 kilometers West of Hamburg. It too
is on the "Waddenzee"/"Wattenmeer".

Harlingen in Frieland, Nederland is the port of the province
Friesland. It has been an important fishing port, but also
an important port for import and export of merchandise.
Litterature:
D.A.Postema: "Gedenkboek ter gelegenheid van het 700-jarig
bestaaan van de stad Harlingen" (1934).
T.Marseille: "Harlingen de vermaerde zeestad."(1985)
It is a beautiful town and the annual fishing days
and ship exhibition day attract many tourists.

Whether the name has anything to do with "Heruls" I
do not know. Nor do I know anything about the oldest
written records of the name. The 700 year city aniversary
in 1934 seems to me to be quite in the normal order of things.
Whether this name from the 13th century can then be
projected backward in time yet another 7 centuries
so that the name can be linked to "Heruls" is unknown
to me.

Best regards
Keth