[gothic-l] Re: Harlingen

hrossthjof at YAHOO.COM hrossthjof at YAHOO.COM
Tue Jul 24 13:37:36 UTC 2001

-Bertil then answered that "yes, but in Greek it is without h-..."
                 I then retorted that in Greek initial h is marked
                 with a comma, like in Hellas/Hellenes/Helenic <
'Ellas,
                 where the small but significant comma indicates the
initial aspirate.

                 My point is that the runes reflected the way they
actually spoke the words,
                 and that hence "Herul" in runes would have to start
with the H-rune.
                 (just like the Vimose comb inscription that we
discussed, also
                 started with H)

                 Best regards
                 Keth

this is called an apostrophe ('), rather than a comma (,)-

by the way, near where i grew up in south texas there is a town called
Harlingen. There were a great many german immigrants to Texas in the
19th century- as well as czechs- and many of these small towns off
the main highways have great old gothic churches with quaint artwork
in them.

Jeff Burke