[gothic-l] Re: Harlingen

Troels Brandt trbrandt at POST9.TELE.DK
Tue Jul 24 16:25:39 UTC 2001

Hi Dirk and Keth

I agree that -ingen in modern Harlingen is a normal suffix in the
names of Dutch and German cities without connection to -ungen, but
this is not the case in the Austrian names and probably not in
Harlinger Land either, where there also appear to be a city called
Harle! But the explanation of the suffix is not my real target,
although the suffix should be explained.

There is probably a connection between the Austrian and Frisian
names. They are very close in spelling, they are apparently from the
same century, and they are all located close to areas which were
regarded as Herulian territory only 350 years earlier according to
Roman historians.

We are not the first to combine the Austrian names with the Heruls as
Herilungoburg was located at Pöchlarn in Nibelungengau, where Rüdeger
von Bechlarn in Nibelungenlied is supposed to come from. He is
normally regarded as a version of the Herulian king Roduulf - but
this will probably only prove that "we are not the first". This place
is at the Danube a little west of Moravia/Marchfeld which is normally
described as their kingdom by scholars, but Herilungoburg might be in
the border region against the Rugians and later the Lombards under
the strong regime of Roduulf.

I believe Dirk is right, that the Western Heruls in this way might be
located to Harlinger Land and maybe also along the northern coast of
Netherland to Harlingen north of Ijsellmeer, where one part of the
Rhine probably had its mouth at that time.

I do not know how much importance the "H" has. There has always been
confusion about this - just look in the archives of this list. This
could be due to the different writing in Latin and Greek. If the
sound was difficult to hear (as Francisc describe the development in
modern Greek) the writing probably depended of which traditions the
writers of a people followed. This is however an area where I am only
able to ask questions.

I remember the discussions about the inscriptions "Ek ErilaR". They
are spread over Scandinavia, they are dated in both the 5th and the
6th century, and the Heruls of Procopius migrated in the middle of
the period, so the inscriptions can't be used in the way some
listmembers used them last year.

The sources have to be checked with local scholars, but I still hope
to hear from some of our linguists about a possible development from
Herul to Eorl and ErilaR - especially now as Dirk has explained where
he found a "missing link".

Troels

PS til Keth: Tak for en norsk hilsen på dansk - vi må nu nok hellere
holde os til det engelske - trods alt. Nu har du også fået brugt en
del af dine æ'er.

--- In gothic-l at y..., dirk at s... wrote:
> Hi Troels and Keth,
>
> I am probably of very little help in any placename debate, but in
> general South-German placenames ending in -ing or -ingen are
> indicative of Alamannic settlements, while placenames ending in -
heim
> are seen as Frankish (at least in the relevant areas).
>
> The placenames that I mentioned Herlingo/Herulingo, (but could also
be
>  Herlingio and Herulingio) are refering to the Harlinger Land in
> Frisia (Germany). I encountered these names in a history of Lower
> Saxony and I think these forms dated to the 9th century. The book
(I
> cannot remember the exact reference right now) made however no link
> the Heruls; that is my own speculation.

> >I am of course interested to know which of these places have
> >earlier been attested as Herulingo and Herlingo
> >Both places are in the area where the Western Heruls could be
> >expected to live, when we combine the Roman sources. A similar
name
> >from 832/853 is found close to or in the Herulian areas of Austria
> >(Herilungoburg/Herilungevelde confirmed by Andreas).
> >
> >I did not see the importance of the Frisian name Harlingen before
> >Dirk also provided us with the earlier form, but the 4 names above
> >and their reverse combinations of letters could be another
indication
> >confirming the theory about a connection between the words Eruli
> >(L)/Herul(G/E), Eorl(OE)/Earl(E)/Erell(Irish 847) and ErilaR(ON
runes
> >450-550) as H is often silent.
> >
> >I have this question to our linguists:
> >
> >Is it possible to compare acceptable deviations from the same name
in
> >this way?
> >Names of places: Herul- - Harl-/Herl- - Heril-
> >Names of groups: Herul  - Earl  -  Erel-/Eril-
> >
> >The ending -ingo/-ungo/-unge might be the ending known from
Nibelungen
> >(G), Völsungen(G), Skjoldunger(D) or Ynglinge(S) - or from the
> >name mentioned in connection with the Goths in Widsith: Herelingas
> >(OE) probably being the Heruls.

Small business owners...
Tell us what you think! http://promo2.yahoo.com/sbin/Yahoo!_BusinessNewsletter/survey.cgi
http://us.click.yahoo.com/vO1FAB/txzCAA/ySSFAA/wWMplB/TM