[gothic-l] Eruli or Heruli

Le Bateman LeBateman at NETZERO.NET
Tue Jul 24 21:47:10 UTC 2001

Bertil, and Keth does anyone know if the Eta in this word has the rough
breathing would be pronounced Herouloi for those of you who do not know
Greek.
Le
----- Original Message -----
From: "Beril Haggman" <mvk575b at tninet.se>
To: <gothic-l at yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Tuesday, July 24, 2001 1:03 PM
Subject: [gothic-l] Eruli or Heruli

Keth,

The original Greek rendering is Eruli and
Erouloi. In the passage to Latin sometimes
H appears, which is unetymological like fort instance
in (H)erminones. Besides the stem would be *er and
the basic word should be *erula-, erila-, *erla.
Also note the personal names Erl-wini,
Erle-gardis, etc. Also I seem to remember
that Justinian II and Mauricius had the
byname Erullicus added

Jordanes in § 117 mistakenly call the Eruli the
Eluri but several times uses Herulorum in
§§ 117-119.

If you want to use Heruli you are welcome.
Besides Herulen (German, but I have seen Eruler used)
and heruler (Swedish) is used with H. I do recall Johann
Georg Hamann writing an essay in defense of the letter H.
Someone had suggested that as H was more or less soundless
anyway, it could just as well be abolished. I would
certainly prefer H being retained.

Erulically

Bertil

> I argued with Bertil about that a year ago,
> when he claimed rune stones with "ek erilar"
> inscriptions proved the Heruls resettled in Sweden in the 6th century.
> I then pointed out that there were in fact more ek erilar inscriptions
> in Norway than in Sweden, and that besides, the Latin sources
> always write it with an "H", which would, according to me, have been
> a real Germanic feature of the pronounciation, and 'ence 'ardly
> 'ave bn dopped fom the ponounciation  :)
>

> Bertil then answered that "yes, but in Greek it is without h-..."
> I then retorted that in Greek initial h is marked
> with a comma, like in Hellas/Hellenes/Helenic < 'Ellas,
> where the small but significant comma indicates the initial aspirate.
>
> My point is that the runes reflected the way they actually spoke the
words,
> and that hence "Herul" in runes would have to start with the H-rune.
> (just like the Vimose comb inscription that we discussed, also
> started with H)

You are a member of the Gothic-L list.  To unsubscribe, send a blank email
to <gothic-l-unsubscribe at egroups.com>.

NetZero Platinum
No Banner Ads and Unlimited Access
Sign Up Today - Only $9.95 per month!