[gothic-l] Re: Hello

Francisc Czobor czobor at CANTACUZINO.RO
Wed Jul 25 09:25:26 UTC 2001

Hi Le,

this is not at all off topic. I think rather that your last messages
are the most "in topic" here, since the Gothic-L is dedicated to the
Gothic language (L is for "Language").
Alaric is "Alareiks" ("ei" being pronounced as long [i]), not
"Alaraiks" (that would be latinized "Alarecus", not "Alaricus").
reiks "ruler, prince" is very common in Gothic (and generally East
Germanic) proper names, like Theodoric (Þiudareiks), Ermanaric
(probably *Airmanareiks) etc.
Regarding Beowulf: it means in Old English "bee-wolf" (= bear).
OE beo "bee" is, according to "Webster's New World College Dictionary
on PowerCD", derived from the IE base *bhei-, whence also German Biene
"bee". In this case, a gothicized form *Bijawulfs seems to me more
appropriate than *Biuwulfs.

Francisc

--- In gothic-l at y..., "Le Bateman" <LeBateman at N...> wrote:
>  I need hlp determing if this is actually Gothic, can someone study
this and
> tell me. I believe Alareiks shoul.d be Alaraiks and there is a
translation
> of Beowulf where the person spells Beowulf Bijawulfs is that
supposed to be
> Biuwulfs. I am sorry if this off topic, but this is pertaining to
Gothic.

------
> ----
> Alareiks ist thiudans unsar