[gothic-l] Burgundians.

Beril Haggman mvk575b at TNINET.SE
Wed Jul 25 17:35:30 UTC 2001

Leonardo,

Hoops Encyclopedia 2nd ed. refers to the
Burgundians as having once migrated from
the island of Bornholm (which in the Middle
Ahes was named Burgundarholm).

There are Burgundian inscriptions left and
the Burgundian language was an East Germanic
language.

Gothically

Bertil

> I've been wondering about something for a time now,
> namely that, if the Burgundians did really come from
> Bornholm, suggesting that it's their island hence
> Burgundarholm as some tend to write it.
> I don't know, but it seems a bit farfetched.
> Did they really come from Bornholm, and if not, from
> where ?
> I've read as many times that they were west-germanic
> as they were east-germanic, what were they originally
> because maybe they with time blended with other
> tribes.
> Their language, was it really called Burgundian ?
> If so, are there any writings left in Burgundian ?
> And it's never been very clear(too many confusing
> sources sometimes, mainly encyclopedias)but when did
> they really cease to exist as an ethnic group/culture,
> meaning, when did they really blend up completely with
> the rest of France ?

Small business owners...
Tell us what you think!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/vO1FAB/txzCAA/ySSFAA/wWMplB/TM