[gothic-l] Greetings -new member question-

M. Carver matt at INVISIONSTUDIOSINC.COM
Wed Jul 25 18:41:27 UTC 2001

on 7/22/01 6:07 PM, midnightmetal at MidnightMetal at hotmail.com wrote:

Hello,
I am German in ancestry (but totally American in reality), and have been
trying to not only trace back my family line to what part of Germany, ect.,
but also trying to learn more about the Old Germanic tribes and their
religious Mythos. Trying to find books on the topic has proven frustrating
because they are always being lumped in with the Celtic and Norse. And I do
not trust the Wiccan books on the topic, as many are taken from shaky
sources. I'm looking for specifically Eastern Germanic Lore and physical
facts, the earlier the better. Any books in print on the topic (that doesn't
cost a hundred dollars) or webpages would be profusely thanked. Other than
that I think I will lurk awhile to get the feel of the list more. I am
interested in the language and writing (Im studying the furthark runes and
just learning of Ogam), but most of it is Greek to me right now.
If I am WAY off base for this list, please tell me. I know what its like to
have someone post something to a list that is off-topic. I do NOT want to be
one of those people.
Bites,
~Mia

Hails, Mia!

Thanks for your excellent questions. You are not necessarily "off base" for
this list. You just have to recognize the difference between the  use of the
word Goth/Gothic nowadays in the mainstream subculture and the other use,
the historical East-Germanic tribe. These are totally different, not
connected in any way. You recognize that, I see, and that's good. It's
amazing to see how many are cognizant of and involved in both. I suppose the
first leads to awareness of the second sooner or later.

But for the list: I would suggest you direct your questions about
East-Germanic specifics to the list itself at <gothic-l at yahoogroups.com>,
where there are many experts you can help you find exactly what you are
looking for, or tell you if such information exists. You can post anything
relating to the ancient Gothic tribe, or perhaps also other related
East-Germanic tribes such as the Vandals, Gepids, Burgundians. You can ask
questions about East-Germanic religion, Gothic-language, etc. These are
appropriate. Anything relating to the other use of "Gothic", i.e. the
modern-day "dark" subculture (or even the architecture or 19th century
literature that bear this name) should be directed to another list, not this
one.

Sincerely,
Matthew Carver
Gothic-L Administrator