[gothic-l] ni was im rumis in stada þamma

Anþanareiks anthanaric at HOTMAIL.COM
Thu Jul 26 02:15:40 UTC 2001

> ni was  im rumis in stada þamma  there was no room for them in the
inn.

> But yes, it is Gothic, only I'm not sure about the word usage.

I posted this, it is from Wulfilas´s Gothic Bible verbatim. The
translation though is the King James version, hence it may not be the
most literal translation, nor does it state its etymology and
declensions.

Golja þuk,
Anþanareiks
http://www.geocities.com/ordlag_godvegr/Gothic_Language_Institute

> rums means indeed "room, space" (like German "Raum"), but I'm not
> convinced that it could be used in the sense of "hotel-room".
Anyway,
> I think that in this context it should appear in nominative (rums),
> not in genitive (rumis). Another word that seems to me more
> appropriate is heþjo "chamber, room".
> The word staþs (here in dative: stada) means "place, neighborhood".
> don't know why it is used here for "inn". I would use rather
saliþwos  "mansion, guest-chamber".
> The verbal negation in Gothic is indeed "ni", not "na".
> Thus, I think that "There was no room for them in the inn" would be
> more correctly (in my opinion) translated in Gothic as:
> "Ni was im heþjo in saliþwom þaim."

Small business owners...
Tell us what you think!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/vO1FAB/txzCAA/ySSFAA/wWMplB/TM