[gothic-l] wods jah wodan

M. Carver matt at INVISIONSTUDIOSINC.COM
Thu Jul 26 17:41:35 UTC 2001

on 7/26/01 4:44 AM, keth at online.no at keth at online.no wrote:

Hails Anthanareiks!

<thorn>u melidês:

>Hails allaim!
>Re: Gaut = Odin thread
>
>Mark 15:
> gasaihwand <thorn>ana wodan
>see him that was possessed
>

>18:
>was wods
>possessed

I'd like to suggest, with this as example, that we take up
Streitberg's work, and look at his dictionary entries, where
there are many details that may be somewhat unclear to many.
For example, here is the entry in Streitberg's Wörterbuch,
corresoponding to the word mentioned by Anthanareiks above:

     wo<thorn>s* (d) Adj.a wütend, besessen:
     saei was wods (25 C)
     o daimonictheis Mc 5, 18
     tov daimonizomenon (tps -ps) Mc 5, 15.

>What does for example (d) mean? And what about the star* behind
>the word wo<thorn>s? (sometimes the star* is in front of the word)
>Also, why does it say Adj.a and not simply Adj. ?
>What is the meaning of saei?
>The rest I think I know:

The postpositioned asterisk might mean that either most forms of this word
are not attested in this form, or at least the nominative, i.e. with thorn
over against d, which would be normalization. Adj.a seems to indicate a
thematic vowel -a- in the stem (the most common).

>I still wonder why the form entered in Streitberg's Wörterbuch p.178 has the
><thorn> (wo<thorn>s*), while the documented forms all have the d (wods and
>wodan) ??
>
>Best regards
>Keth

As you know, stem -d- classically always becomes voiceless in nominative
before masculine -s. This is even true of stad-, where confusion arises with
staþ-. Analogously, -b-s > -fs. But in some manuscript traditions, effort
seems to have been made to show etymological value over phonetic value. It
has also been argued that in such cases the -s indeed carried voice, as
perhaps in the cases of final -id where we would expect -iþ, as in the 3.
pers. sg. of the verb -- when vowel-initial words followed.

Finally, it has been suggested that the same nominal suffix used in
þiud-an-s and other words has been used in *Wod-an-s.

-Matþaius

Small business owners...
Tell us what you think!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/vO1FAB/txzCAA/ySSFAA/wWMplB/TM