[gothic-l] Re: Gothic word for King

babeck at ALPHALINK.COM.AU babeck at ALPHALINK.COM.AU
Thu Jul 26 23:04:31 UTC 2001

--- In gothic-l at y..., keth at o... wrote:
> Hi Francisc,
>
> >In fact, I don't know, but it looks indeed very convenable to
> >interprete "Alaricus" as "Alareiks", "Theodericus"
as "Thiudareiks"
> >etc.
>
> I also found the Greek form:
>
>  'AláriXos
>
>  ' = apostroph
>  A = u.c. alpha
>  l = lambda
>  á = accented alpha
>  r = rho
>  i = iota
>  X = chi
>  o = omicron
>  s = sigma
>
> I do not know if this tells us much more, but the apostrophe is
interesting.
> Getica § 117 and § 277 also has Halaricus.

Hails,
*All* initial vowels in ancient Greek carried an 'apostrophy',
usually termed a 'breathing' of which there were two kinds:
- one convex to the left [( ], the rough breathing, which indicated
aspiration.
- the other convex to the right [)], the smooth breathing indicating
non-aspiration.
In early inscriptions, they were written (carved) as:
   |_   and   _|  respectively.
In later inscriptions, they were usually omitted entirely.
Cheers,
Brian

Small business owners...
Tell us what you think!