[gothic-l] Re: Gothic word for King

hrossthjof at YAHOO.COM hrossthjof at YAHOO.COM
Fri Jul 27 12:57:00 UTC 2001

--- In gothic-l at y..., "Francisc Czobor" <czobor at c...> wrote:
> Hi Keth,
>
> --- In gothic-l at y..., keth at o... wrote:
> > I was also interested in the source for the name "Halamardus".
> > This was said to be from some West Germanic inscription, but
> > I do not know which one. I find it interesting, because the first
> > part is clearly similar to the first part of "Halaricus". Also, we
> know
> > the meaning of both -ricus and -mardus from other Germanic PN's.
> > ('mardus' is from "famous", related to German "Märchen", Dutch
> "vermaard".)
> > Thus it seems established the Hala- is a first component in
Germanic
> > PN's. I'd like to compare it with Old Norse "halr" that was a word
> that
> > meant "man" or "hero".
>
> I still believe that Alaricus is the correct form, and not,
> "Halaricus", and that is in fact *Ala-reiks "all-ruler", with ala-
for
> "all" like in ala-mans "all men" (mankind, totality of humans) or
> ala-brunsts "all-burning" (burnt-offering, holocaust) or ala-þarba
> "all-needy" (very needy, very poor). In the mediaeval Latin texts,
> when in Latin the "h" sound ceased actually to be pronounced, the
"h"
> letter sometimes is missing where it should be, sometimes appears
> where it should not ("hypercorrect" forms).
>
> Francisc

I recall from the writings of ulfilas- the term Heliaruna (sp?) for
witches. Later someone spelled it Allaruna- yet 2 different
etymologies could be derived fro tne 2 different spellings of this
word ('helia' meaning 'to hide' and 'alla' meaning 'all'). Obviously,
this dropping of the initial 'h' could lead to great misunderstandings
linguistically...

Jeff Burke

Small business owners...
Tell us what you think!