[gothic-l] Re: Gothic word for King

Troels Brandt trbrandt at POST9.TELE.DK
Fri Jul 27 14:23:07 UTC 2001

Hi Francisc

--- In gothic-l at y..., "Francisc Czobor" <czobor at c...> wrote:
> I still believe that Alaricus is the correct form, and not,
> "Halaricus",

The two kings Keth mentioned as Halaricus in Getica were §117 and
§277 being a Herul and a Suevi. All the other Alarics were Goths as
far as I can see in a quick search.

Could this difference in spelling by the same author be explained by
a former difference in a.e. pronunciation or spelling-tradition
because these kings were from different branches of the Germanic or
Gothic people?

Troels

 and that is in fact *Ala-reiks "all-ruler", with ala- for
> "all" like in ala-mans "all men" (mankind, totality of humans) or
> ala-brunsts "all-burning" (burnt-offering, holocaust) or ala-þarba
> "all-needy" (very needy, very poor). In the mediaeval Latin texts,
> when in Latin the "h" sound ceased actually to be pronounced,
the "h"
> letter sometimes is missing where it should be, sometimes appears
> where it should not ("hypercorrect" forms). Sometimes, when the
> scribes were paid proportionally with the number of letters they
> wrote, they added some supplementary letters, in order to get more
> payment. So they added an initial "h" before vowels, or a "h" after
> "t" or "c" (in Getica, we have "Halaricus" and "Alarichus" beside
> Alaricus), or doubled some letters etc.

Small business owners...
Tell us what you think!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/vO1FAB/txzCAA/ySSFAA/wWMplB/TM