[gothic-l] Taman-Gothic Coins (Picture)

dirk at SMRA.CO.UK dirk at SMRA.CO.UK
Mon Jul 30 10:27:34 UTC 2001

Leonardo's questions about the Crimean Goths reminded me of an almost
unknown aspect of the Crimean Goths. Even Western experts in the field
are usually completely unaware of the possiblity that the Goths have
actually produced coins in the 3rd and 4th centuries on the Crimean
and the Taman peninsulas.

The following URL takes you to the Numismatic Museum of Odessa
web-site. If you scroll down towards the end of the page, there is an
illustration of a 'Taman-Gothic coin'

http://www.museum.com.ua/en/editing/period2/

Russian scholars have studied these coins for over 100 years and seem
to agree that they were produced either by the Goths directly, or at
least through Gothic influence. I have more than 20 of these coins in
my own collection and am still writing on an article about these very
mysterious coins.

cheers

Small business owners...
Tell us what you think!