[gothic-l] Re: Crimean Goths ? Where did they up at last ?

Francisc Czobor czobor at CANTACUZINO.RO
Tue Jul 31 09:35:37 UTC 2001

Hi Dirk,

it is possible that telich "foolish" of Busbecq's wordlist is in fact
Low Saxon.
As pointed out in David Salo's message no. 427 to the Gothic-L, in
this wordlist, beside words that are clearly Gothic (e.g. mine "moon",
mycha "sword", fyder "four", ies "he" etc.), there are also words that
look rather Durch or High German than Gothic (wingart is one of them).
There are several possible explanations for this fact:
- the settlement of West-Germanic population in mediaeval Crimea (like
the "Saxons" settled in Slovakia and Transylvania in the 12th century)
that mixed with the local Goths, so that Crimean Gothic became a mixed
Gothic-West-Germanic language;
- the influence of the language of Busbecq's informators;
- the influence of the language spoken by Busbecq himself (he was
Flemish and spoke also High German), that made him to give a Dutch or
German shape to the words heard from the informators;
- the influence of the language of the editors of the wordlist.

Francisc

--- In gothic-l at y..., dirk at s... wrote:
> Hi Fransics,
>
> I seem to remember that telich (een telichten Kerl = a foolish
bloke)
> means foolish (toericht) in Low Saxon. I also noted the supposedly
> Crimean Gothic word Wingart, which should be Weingarten in modern
HG,
> but is really Wingart in most wine-growing areas in Germany.
>
> cheers
> Dirk

Small business owners...
Tell us what you think!