[gothic-l] Re: Cultic leagues

ingemar.nordgren at EBOX.TNINET.SE ingemar.nordgren at EBOX.TNINET.SE
Fri Jun 1 00:49:16 UTC 2001

--- In gothic-l at y..., "Maureen" <hessian_18452 at y...> wrote:
> --- In gothic-l at y..., Ingemar Nordgren <ingemar.nordgren at e...>
wrote:

> A cultic league for example must not, or rather should not, be
> connected with overruling political power over the peoples being
part
> of the league.
>
> Dear Ingemar:
>
>     I do hope this is not terribly off-topic, but it certainly
> reminds me of a cultic league controlled by Druids.  They spoke
Greek
> and Latin in order to conduct trade, kings usually deferred to them
> in politicial decisions, and the common people were to obey them in
> every respect.  Even their language and teachings were secret,
passed
> down orally, and not shared outside of the Druidic circle.  Did the
> ancient cultic leagues you referred to have a similar hierarchy?  I
> know that some Germanic groups were considered sub-groups of Celtic
> tribes at one time; but I am interested in the possibility of this
> Celtic tradition borrowing from Gaut or Odinn, or perhaps
vice-versa?
> Did any of the Gothic peoples have cultic leagues akin to those of a
> Druidic nature?
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Maureen

Hello Maureen,

No, I do not mean a cultic league of that nature. I say instead that
there were a number of quite independent peoples/tribes, each under
their own king/chief. The kings/chiefs had the same religious
motivation to  seize power and so they had a common interest of
maintaining the cult. Originally it concerned fertility cult but later
the opposing new chiefs instead   decided  to use a genetic heritage
from Gaut, later Óðinn-gaut, to motivate their power and it also gave
them occasion to take oaths from the initiated warriors and
schamanistic demonhunters, hence controlling these. They regarded, as
I wrote, also Gaut as creator of the people. Hence the Gauts/Goths
were simply the outpoured, the humans. Remember that the cult of Gaut
and Óðinn was just for chiefs while the commoners still revered the
old fertility gods. We do accordingly not speak of secret men's
leagues in general or druidic leagues.  The warrior cult was however
secret like the demonhunters leagues. Thats why for example the
Langobardic law contains the so called Valapaus allowing theft under
certain circumstances. It was because the secret leagues should be
able to provide themselves without being revealed. In Sweden we have
the Öjabusar having had the same privilege.In Greece I know some
cultic leagues called amphiktyons that more answer to your ideas.

Kind regards
Ingemar