[gothic-l] Re: Cultic leagues

Maureen hessian_18452 at YAHOO.COM
Fri Jun 1 02:48:21 UTC 2001

--- In gothic-l at y..., ingemar.nordgren at e... wrote:

> . Remember that the cult of Gaut and Óðinn was just for chiefs
while the commoners still revered the old fertility gods. We do
accordingly not speak of secret men's leagues in general or druidic
leagues.  The warrior cult was however secret like the demonhunters
leagues. Thats why for example the Langobardic law contains the so
called Valapaus allowing theft under certain circumstances. It was
because the secret leagues should be able to provide themselves
without being revealed. In Sweden we have the Öjabusar having had the
same privilege.In Greece I know some  cultic leagues called
amphiktyons that more answer your ideas.

> Kind regards
> Ingemar

Dear Ingemar:

   Your explanation was precisely the answer I needed to
differentiate between and/or among cultic leagues.  I thank you for
illustrating the basic tenets, and I can research the connection of
Greek mysticism to Druidic beliefs.  These societies had me somewhat
perplexed, but I can now pursue another course of action (thanks to
your direction). Will also have to follow up on the Ojabusar.

   Cheers,

   Maureen