[gothic-l] Re: (non) Gothic peoples

czobor at CANTACUZINO.RO czobor at CANTACUZINO.RO
Fri Jun 1 08:31:38 UTC 2001

Hi Steve,

always when I have read that the Alans were germanicized, I understood
that from the language point of view: being associated and becoming
mixed with various East-Germanic elements, they adopted an
East-Germanic dialect (more or less similar to Gothic). That does not
mean necessarily that they abandoned their original Iranic language.
More probably they become bilingual (Alanic/Gothic), at least the
cultivated individuals, who had to learn Gothic in order to understand
Wulfila's Bible, since the Alans adopted the Arianism. Probably
Gothic was used as a literary language, while Iranic Alanic (with
Germanic lexical influence) as everyday speech. That is what suggests
to my immagination an assertion like "the Alans became germanicized".

Francisc

--- In gothic-l at y..., Alburysteve at a... wrote:
> Hi Francisc, Bertil
>
> Statelments like:
> >  Yes, the Alans were probably germanicized.
> and
> >  (Longobards) and a non-Germanic people (Alans; it seems that the
Alans