[gothic-l] Re: Gothic Identity, was: Heyerdahl searching for Odin

Tore Gannholm tore.gannholm at SWIPNET.SE
Sat Jun 2 04:26:12 UTC 2001

Dirk,
I agree with you what regards Västergötland and Östergötland.

However when you look at Gotland the situation is completely different.
200-300 BC there is an emigration from Gotland with similarities in the
Wielbark culture from the same time.
>From that time and up to the 6th century the Gothic culture pures back to
Gotland and makes Gotland the great cultural centre in the Baltic.
As far as I know the god Gaut is unkown in Gotland. There the moon and the
sun were worshipped. Gotland was a great astronomical centre. The oldest
dated astronomical calendars in Gotland are dated to 3300 BC. The
caleandars can be found all over the island.

Gotland keeps this positiion until the 14th century when the German hanse
is formed and the Hanseatics takes over.

Are there any indications that the Goths worshipped a god Gaut?

We very often confuse Gotland with Scandinavia. When people talk about
Scandinavia they normally mean mainland Sweden. The Gotlandic culture and
the Swedish culture is very different. We know that the Gotlanders had
colonies (trading posts) all around the Baltic including the Swedish
mainland from the Bronze age up to the Middle ages.
Tore