[gothic-l] Re: Alans and Huns

czobor at CANTACUZINO.RO czobor at CANTACUZINO.RO
Sat Jun 2 10:17:00 UTC 2001

About the Alans, three more thinks are to be said:

1. In Crimea, Alans lived together with Crimean Goths, becoming
eventually assimilated by the later; the bishopric of Crimea was
called "the bishopric of Goths ans Alans". This couls explain the
presence of Iranic words in Crimean Gothic, such as sada "hundred",
hazer "thousand", stap "goat".

2. A group of Alans migrated in Pannonia some 1000 years ago and
settled between the Tissa river and Danube. In Hungarian they are
called "Jász". They became liguistically assimilated by the
Hungarians, but are until now a distinct ethnic group. Their original
language is considered the source of some Iranic words of Hungarian
(for instance, ezer "thousand", very similar to the corresponding
Crimean Gothic word - hazer).

3. There are modern descendants of Alans who conserved their original
Iranic language: the Ossetians of Caucasia.

Francisc