[gothic-l] Re: Cultic leauges

andreas.schwarcz at UNIVIE.AC.AT andreas.schwarcz at UNIVIE.AC.AT
Sun Jun 3 18:46:44 UTC 2001

> As Andreas Schwarcz explained recently on the list, Pytheas
never
> actually mentioned the Goths or Gothones.

Ingemar Nordgren wrote::
I know there is a debate about that. Sorry to say I have not read him
myself in original but most writers, e.g. Hachmann, Wenskus et
al.seem
to have interpreted him so.

Dear Ingemar,
no one in modern times ever read Pytheas in the original, not even
Hachmann and Wenskus. He is only preserved in shorter and
longer citations and fragments by other classical authors in Latin
and Greek. You should read Dieter Stichtenoth's translation and
anaysis of these fragments if you want to use him as a source. I
cited it in my mail above mentioned and you wiil find it in the archive
of the list The book is written in German, so you will have no
problems to read it.
Kind regards
          Andreas

ao.Univ.Prof.Dr.Andreas Schwarcz
Institut fuer oesterreichische Geschichtsforschung
Universitaet Wien
Dr.Karl-Lueger-Ring 1
A 1010 Wien
Oesterreich