[gothic-l] Re: Cultic leauges

ingemar.nordgren at EBOX.TNINET.SE ingemar.nordgren at EBOX.TNINET.SE
Sun Jun 3 21:44:49 UTC 2001

--- In gothic-l at y..., andreas.schwarcz at u... wrote:
> > As Andreas Schwarcz explained recently on the list, Pytheas
> never
> > actually mentioned the Goths or Gothones.
>
> Ingemar Nordgren wrote::
> I know there is a debate about that. Sorry to say I have not read
him
> myself in original but most writers, e.g. Hachmann, Wenskus et
> al.seem
> to have interpreted him so.
>
> Dear Ingemar,
> no one in modern times ever read Pytheas in the original, not even
> Hachmann and Wenskus. He is only preserved in shorter and
> longer citations and fragments by other classical authors in Latin
> and Greek. You should read Dieter Stichtenoth's translation and
> anaysis of these fragments if you want to use him as a source. I
> cited it in my mail above mentioned and you wiil find it in the
archive
> of the list The book is written in German, so you will have no
> problems to read it.
> Kind regards
>           Andreas

Dear Andreas,

Of course you are right. My formulation was kind of short-cut in my
brain. I was actually thinking on e.g. Hachmanns and Wenskus
references to the mentioning of Plinius in  AD 79 where he claimed
Pytheas knew about the Goths in the 330's BC. Thank you for correcting
me. I was kind of tired in the late hour I wrote that mash.

Thank you also for the reference to the book by Dieter Stichtenoth. I
assume the title includes Pytheas name and will make a search for it.

By the way thank you for the articles you sent - they are quite
informative.

Best regards
Ingemar