[gothic-l] Odin's Travel to the West and the Goths

Bertil Häggman mvk575b at TNINET.SE
Mon Jun 4 12:24:52 UTC 2001

Keth,

Just talked to an American news magazine
on Dr. Heyerdahl's present research with
connection to the Caspian Sea, Azerbaidjan
and the "Aesir".

It is important that he brings up this old question
of Odin of the Aeisir clan, the Emperor Tyrkjakonungr
(=Asa-Odin). Odin's journey deserves
attention from Gardariki to the west and to
the north.

This clearly has a connection also with the
Goths. Note for instance Jordanes in _Getica_
41: "Now Mars (=Gaut, Odin) has always been
worshipped by the Goths with cruel rites, and
captives were slain as his victims. They thought
that he who is the lord of war ought to be
appeased by the shedding of human blood. To him
they devoted the first share of spoil, and in his
honour arms stripped from the foe were suspended
from trees."

What do you think of the Vandals as a Gothic people?
In my view the only gothic peoples were the Goths
and the Gepids.

Gothically

Bertil