[gothic-l] Re: Deities mingling (was RE: Odin's Travel ...)

Nikolai gothologist at YAHOO.COM
Wed Jun 6 14:48:24 UTC 2001

>    Date: Tue, 5 Jun 2001 06:46:56 +1000
>    From: "Tim O'Neill" <scatha at bigpond.com>
> Subject: RE: Odin's Travel to the West and the Goths
>
> No, but his point is that when Roman writers speak of
> a Germanic 'Mars' they seem to be referring to Tyr, not
> Odin - who was generally associated with 'Mercury'.
> The day-name analogs bear this out as well.  Grimm has
> an extensive chapter on this IIRC.
> Cheers,
>
> Tim O'Neill

ok, ...I'm lost.
Why is Tyr associated with Mars (other than sharing the same day
of the week)? Why isn't Thor?
And why is Odin associated with Mercury and not Jupiter?
And I thought that the days went as such; Tuesday (Tyrsday),
Wednesday (Wotinsday/Wotansday/Odhinnsday), Thursday (Thorsday),
and Friday (Freysday/Freyasday/Frejasday).
But anyways... I thought the All-Father was considered as
Jupiter, Zeus, etc. and Thor was thought of in the same respect
as Aries, Mars, etc.
But then... if we begin comparing all of this against each
other, we are assuming the days and their planetary or deitical
significance are all based off of the same root religion (as
comparisons between Roman and Greek pantheons), which I don't
see how they would be connected. These religions developed
completely separate from each other (Norse and Greco-roman), did
they not?

=====
äî ñâèäàíüÿ.
Nikolai
^^O^^
http://www.geocities.com/gothwitches
"Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dreamed before." ~ Edgar Allen Poe