[gothic-l] Re: Deities mingling (was RE: Odin's Travel ...)

andreas.schwarcz at UNIVIE.AC.AT andreas.schwarcz at UNIVIE.AC.AT
Wed Jun 6 16:40:44 UTC 2001

On 6 Jun 2001, at 7:48, Nikolai wrote:

> ok, ...I'm lost.
> Why is Tyr associated with Mars (other than sharing the same day
> of the week)? Why isn't Thor?

Because Tyr is a god of war. But the alternative forms of his name
Tiu, Teiwas bear a connection with Zeus, too.

> And why is Odin associated with Mercury and not Jupiter?

Because Tacitus called Mercurius the highest of the german gods
and Odin has the attributes of a wanderer.

> And I thought that the days went as such; Tuesday (Tyrsday),
> Wednesday (Wotinsday/Wotansday/Odhinnsday), Thursday (Thorsday),
> and Friday (Freysday/Freyasday/Frejasday).

> But anyways... I thought the All-Father was considered as
> Jupiter, Zeus, etc. and Thor was thought of in the same respect
> as Aries, Mars, etc.

Thor´s hammer is the lightning of Jupiter and that is why Thursday
is equated with the day of Jupiter.

> But then... if we begin comparing all of this against each
> other, we are assuming the days and their planetary or deitical
> significance are all based off of the same root religion (as
> comparisons between Roman and Greek pantheons), which I don't
> see how they would be connected. These religions developed
> completely separate from each other (Norse and Greco-roman), did
> they not?

Well, our sources make the comparisons between the Roman and
Greek and the Norse Pantheons and the Norse sources of course
show the traces of classical traditions and mediterreanean
influence.
Kind regards
                Andreas Schwarcz

> =====
> äî ñâèäàíüÿ.
> Nikolai
> ^^O^^
> http://www.geocities.com/gothwitches
> "Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering,
> fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dreamed before." ~
> Edgar Allen Poe

Ao.Univ.Prof.Dr.Andreas Schwarcz
Institut für österreichische Geschichtsforschung
Universität Wien
Dr.Karl Lueger-Ring 1
A-1010 Wien
Österreich