[gothic-l] The Goths, Gutland (Gutones) and the Guta Saga

Bertil Häggman mvk575b at TNINET.SE
Thu Jun 7 16:55:22 UTC 2001

Esteemed listmembers,

One of the first steps toward a project of "The Gutar
and the Goths" could be to translate the Guta Saga
into English, if such a translation does not exist (I
don't know of any, does any of our Gutnish friends
know?).

Norwegian Professor Bugge, one among many
prominent Norwegians in the field of linguistics,
once proposed that Old Gutnish and Gothic be
compared. He was of the opinion that the greatest
similarity between East Germanic was with Old
Gutnish. As then maybe now the Norwegians would
have to come to our rescue. The Swedish krona
is falling like a rock and a project involving Gutland
(Gotland is a German name, as Germans sometimes
had influence on Gutland/Gotland) could well use some
Norwegian support. Not only has Bugge pointed us in the right
direction geographically but Dr. Heyerdahl
has now started an undertaking that has wider
implications, in my opinion.

The aspect of most interest in the Guta Saga is of course
the migration section and maybe it would be of interest
for a project to look not only into aspects of Crimean
Gothic language but also aspects of placenames on Crimea
(Gothia). Naturally a project ought also to deal
with the archaelogical aspects, naturally with involvement
of the Academy of Sciences of Ukraine and Crimean
researchers.

Gutnically

Bertil