[gothic-l] Re: The Goths, Gutland (Gutones) and the Guta Saga

M. Carver matt at INVISIONSTUDIOSINC.COM
Mon Jun 11 16:43:13 UTC 2001

> Maybe somebody can tell us whether this is the same or similar to
> Gothic. I have messaged a friend at the Institute of Linguistics at
> Stockholm University, but have not yet had an answer.
>
> cheers,
>
> Dirk

I don't understand this question, I think, for it seems too simple to say
that Gothic is *not* the Gotlandic dialect of Old Swedish. The similarities
which the two bear, and perhaps only by coincidence (the latter is in this
way conservative), are mostly phonological, as Gordon's words made clear in
my last post on the subject. The following shows that, having considered
phonological similarities such as diphthongs, even in a slavish translation
the two languages are very different.

> "Mangir kunungar striþu a Gutland miþan haiþit war; þau hieldu Gutar e
> iemlika sigri oc ret sinum. Siþan sentu Gutar sendimen manga
> til Swiarikis, en engin þaira ficc friþ gart, fyrr þan Awair Strabain
> af Alfa socn, hann gierþi fyrsti friþ wiþr Swia kunung."

filu þiudanai waihun ana Gut-land(a) miþþanei haiþnata was; þauh haihaldun
Gutos aiw sigis jah *garaiht seinamma. þanaseiþs sandidedun Gutos filu
?sagjans du *Swiareika, iþ ni ainshun ize gafriþon mahta faurþizei [Awair
Strabain af Alfa socn], is taujada frumist friþu wiþra Swia-þiudan.

Matþaius