[gothic-l] Re: The Goths, Gutland (Gutones) and the Guta Saga

dirk at SMRA.CO.UK dirk at SMRA.CO.UK
Tue Jun 12 07:23:45 UTC 2001

--- In gothic-l at y..., "M. Carver" <matt at i...> wrote:

> > Maybe somebody can tell us whether this is the same or similar to
> > Gothic. I have messaged a friend at the Institute of Linguistics
at
> > Stockholm University, but have not yet had an answer.
> >
> > cheers,
> >
> > Dirk
>
> I don't understand this question, I think, for it seems too simple
to say
> that Gothic is *not* the Gotlandic dialect of Old Swedish. The
similarities
> which the two bear, and perhaps only by coincidence (the latter is
in this
> way conservative), are mostly phonological, as Gordon's words made
clear in
> my last post on the subject. The following shows that, having
considered
> phonological similarities such as diphthongs, even in a slavish
translation
> the two languages are very different.
>
> > "Mangir kunungar striþu a Gutland miþan haiþit war; þau hieldu
Gutar e
> > iemlika sigri oc ret sinum. Siþan sentu Gutar sendimen manga
> > til Swiarikis, en engin þaira ficc friþ gart, fyrr þan Awair
Strabain
> > af Alfa socn, hann gierþi fyrsti friþ wiþr Swia kunung."
>
> filu þiudanai waihun ana Gut-land(a) miþþanei haiþnata was; þauh
haihaldun
> Gutos aiw sigis jah *garaiht seinamma. þanaseiþs sandidedun Gutos
filu
> ?sagjans du *Swiareika, iþ ni ainshun ize gafriþon mahta faurþizei
[Awair
> Strabain af Alfa socn], is taujada frumist friþu wiþra Swia-þiudan.
>
> Matþaius

Hi Matthew,

I am not a linguist, so in my ignorance I thought one can simply
analyse two similar examples of the two languages to establish whether
Old Gutnish and Gothic are as close (even to the degree of mutual
intelligibility) as some participants have claimed.

cheers,