[gothic-l] Re: Gutland, Goths and Crimea

dirk at SMRA.CO.UK dirk at SMRA.CO.UK
Wed Jun 13 15:25:10 UTC 2001

--- In gothic-l at y..., bertil <mvk575b at t...> wrote:
> Esteemed listmembers and all who participate in the thread on
Gutland and the Goths,

> The Rev. Neogard and His "Gautaminning"
>
> In _Gotlaendsk ordbok_ Herbert Gustavson mentions Rev.
> Neogard on Gutland and his important dictionary
> Gautaminning, (over 2,000 manuscript pages exist in
> archives in Sweden) which is a thorough investigation
> of the connections between Gutnish and Gothic.
>
> Neogard's dictionary is in urgent need of publication
> these days when the Gutland-Crimean Gothia connection
> once again widely debated with an extended commentary.
> Can we hope for help from our Norwegian friends?

Is there any indication of what Rev. Neogard's findings are? When his
work was conducted and why it was not published if it is such and
'important' dictionary?

> At Stockholm Castle is presently an exhibition _Gaavor
> fraan Oesterland_, royal gifts from the
> East for the Swedish king including the display of a
> diamond studded arrow quiver from The Crimean Khanate in
> the 17th century, a gift from a Crimean delegation in
> Stockholm. There were not only Gutlandish contacts
> beginning with the migration of Goths from Gutland
> around 300 BC but then trading, Vikings, Gutnish and
> Swedish contacts with the Crimean Khanate.
>
> Will return both with additional material on Rev. Neogard
> and his dictionary as well as further information on
> Swedish-Crimean Khanate contacts throughout history.
>
> Copyright Bertil Haggman 2001
>
> Gothically
>
> Bertil

I am sure several historical rulers in Europe exchanged gifts with the
Crimean Tatar Khanate of the 17th century, but to suggest that this
indicates that Crimean Goths came from Sweden is strange to say the
least.

cheers,
Dirk

Just curious. Could you enlighten us why the information about this
exhibition is under you copyright? Does that mean if I want to pass it
on, I will have to ask your permission first? ;-)