[gothic-l] Re: The Goths, Gutland (Gutones) and the Guta Saga

Tore Gannholm tore.gannholm at SWIPNET.SE
Wed Jun 13 19:12:48 UTC 2001

Hi Dirk,
I don't know what you mean with modern linguists at the University of
Stockholm. Have you any names. I talk about now living professors in Nordic
languages. (Ingemar Olsson just passed away as earlier mentioned)

If you talk about the Swedish government I can understand it. They don't
accept any minority language without pressure from abroad. They first
refused to sign the EU convention for minority languages.
When they were forced by the EU to do something the matter was given to the
minister of Agriculture.
She formed a committee to investigate what had to be done.
The committee only included languages with high pressure from outside and
considered the Gutnish language as a dead language and accoringly
disqualified it. We took for granted that the Gutnish language should be
included and did not put enough pressure on the Swedish government.

The idea with minority languages within the EU is to conserve the old
languages, but that is not accepted by the Swedish government. They don't
understandd it.
Probably, the only way out for the Gutnish language is to file a law suite
on the Swedish government with the EU court for contravening the minority
language convention.

On top of this the Swedish government formed a council of  the minority
languages approved by the Swedish government. Only these languages are
allowed to be members.
This is what Anders is referring to.

When representatives from the Society of the Gutnish language enlisted in a
government sponsored seminar on Swedish dialects they were not allowed to
take part and were told that Gotlandish is not a dialect but an old
language.

I have never maintained that Gotic and Gutnisch is the same language, only
that some renown professors say so and it is worth investigating. I have
with the professor in Nordic languages at the University of Uppsala Lennart
Elmevik initiated a comparason between the Guta lagh and Codex Argentus. I
don't know if that project has started.
Tore