[gothic-l] Re: Christianisation of Crimean Goths

dirk at SMRA.CO.UK dirk at SMRA.CO.UK
Thu Jun 14 10:42:11 UTC 2001

Dear Andreas,

thanks for all the links. Unfortunately, so far I could not get them
to work but will try to find the literature.

Aleksandr Aibabin (Simfereopol) wrote in 'Sto Let Chernyakhovskogo
Cultura' (I only have a bad copy in Russian with an incomplete
reference):

Aibabin said that the Germanic settlement of the Crimean at the end of
the first half of the 3rd century significantly changed the
ethno-political make-up of the Crimean peninsula. ..... Germanic
tribesmen pushed into the Crimean after Roman garrisons started to
withdraw in the 240s AD to bolster the Danubian frontier, thus
benefitting from the Roman withdrawal

.... In the middle of the 3rd century the new cemetaries of Chatirdg,
Ai-todor, Partenit and Chernaya reka start, which are closely
associated with the Germanic settlement on the Crimean peninsula. ....

Also, an author Igor Pioro "O Chernyakhovskoi kulturi na krimu" wrote
in 2000 that

"... Germanic urn and incremation burrials on Crimean start in the
middle of the 3rd century AD. These can be found in the graveyards of
Sovkhos Sevastopolskii, Chernaya reka, Belbek I, in the oblast' of
Chersones and Ai-Todor, as well as Chatirdag and several others.
....In these Chernyakov-type cemetaries all characteristics of the
general incremation practice is presnent which reflects traditions of
the Wielbark as well as the Przeworsk cultures.....

The distribution of the mid-3rd century Chernyakov-type cemetaries on
the Crimean together with documentary evidence and the fact that the
Germanic language was attested into the 15th (sic!) century, supports
the thesis that the Chernyakovsk-type graves should be attibuted to
Germanic settlers. .....

(all my translations)

cheers,

Dirk

--- In gothic-l at y..., andreas.schwarcz at u... wrote:
> Dear Dirk;
> Here is my reference:
>
> {HYPERLINK
"http://aleph.univie.ac.at:4505/ALEPH/RANDOM5042965/SCAN-ACC-X/0608774
4"}Gomolka-Fuchs, Gudrun [Hrsg.] {HYPERLINK
"http://aleph.univie.ac.at:4505/ALEPH/RANDOM5042965/SCAN-ACC-X/0090610
7"}1.Körperschaft
> {HYPERLINK
"http://aleph.univie.ac.at:4505/ALEPH/RANDOM5042965/FIND-ACC/00906107"
}Deutsches Archäologisches Institut <Berlin> / Römisch-Germanische
> Kommission {HYPERLINK
"http://aleph.univie.ac.at:4505/ALEPH/RANDOM5042965/SCAN-ACC-X/0608774
5"}Die Sîntana de Mures-Cernjachov-Kultur. Akten des
> internationalen Kolloquiums in Caputh vom 20. bis 24. Oktober 1995.
> Römisch-Germanische Kommission, Eurasien-Abteilung. Hrsg. von
> Gudrun Gomolka-Fuchs.  Bonn {HYPERLINK
"http://aleph.univie.ac.at:4505/ALEPH/RANDOM5042965/SCAN-ACC-X/0013321
7"}Verlag {HYPERLINK
"http://aleph.univie.ac.at:4505/ALEPH/RANDOM5042965/FIND-ACC/00133217"