[gothic-l] i forngutniskan

Anþanareiks anthanaric at HOTMAIL.COM
Sat Jun 16 14:30:07 UTC 2001

Hails Bertil!
What is the date of this text.

"Om gutarna paa Gotland och goterna i Weichselområdet
ursprungligen var samma folk, torde de aennu under de
foersta aarhundradena e. Kr. ha talat vaesentligen samma
spraak, ett spraak som in sin senare utveckling i Sydeuropa
framtraeder som gotiska. Sannolikt har detta moderspraaket
foer gotiskan och forngutniskan icke skilt sig alltfoer
mycket fraan den samtida urnordiskan. I varje fall aer lik-
heterna med gotiskan ingenstaedes i Norden saa stora
som i forngutniskan".

It looks to me  much more like a modern Scandinavian language then
Gothic.

Look at  the last word ´ í forngutniskan ´
>From Old Norse this would be something like
 í      forn- gutna
        old- goths

An Old Norse text
circa 12th century

fráogo froéknan, ef fiaor vildi Gotna þióðan golli kaupa
Þá kvað þat Gunnarr gumna dróttinn
Her hefi-ek  hiarta Hialla ins blauða,
óglikt hiarta Haogna ins froékna

They asked the brave King of the Goths if he would buy his life with
gold.
Then spake Gunnar, king of men
Here I have the heart of Hiallla the coward,
unlike to the heart of Hogni the brave.

As you can see, it is seemingly more similar to Old Norse then
Gothic. To me
your text that you presented   Kind Of looks Norwegian.

An  example of Gothic.
circa 4th century

jah ufkunnaiþ  sunja,  jah so sunja frijans izwis briggiþ.
ik ni sokja hauhein meina; ist sæi sokeiþ jah stojiþ
Hvers þykkir  yðr sá  verðr, er þetta ráð  gaf  til
niu ist  gameliliþ in witoda izwaramma: ik qaþ, guda sijuþ?
aþþan ik qiþa izwis ni swaran allis, ni  bi himina, unte stols ist
gudis;

Golja thuk,
Anþanareiks