[gothic-l] Snorri and skaldskaparmal

malmqvist52 at YAHOO.SE malmqvist52 at YAHOO.SE
Mon Jun 18 11:40:31 UTC 2001

--- In gothic-l at y..., keth at o... wrote:> He (Varin) also mentions the
land "Reidgotaland".
> Snorri in his Edda gives the solution to this riddle,
> for there he explains that it is the "meginland"
> (=mainland) where Odinn once ruled. The other lands
> that Odinn ruled were called Eygotaland; i.e.
> The "Gothland of the Isles", which was everything
> that wasn't mainland. Snorri then  mentions Sweden and Dennmark
> as  "Eygotaland". Reidgotaland must then simply be all
> the Northen European lands South of Jutland. And so it
> would have included Saxony as well as Pommern. Poland too
> I supose.
>
> Best regards
> Keth

Hi all,

I would interpret it as that Snorre means exactly what he says. I e.
that the mainland i e Juteland and Götaland (+ svealand which didn't
exist as a country only some  200 years before Snorri) was  called
Reidgotaland and that the islands i. e Gotland, Sealand , Bornholm,
Lolland , Mön , Öland m. fl.  was called. "eygotaland". It doesnt
make sense otherwise, and I seriously doubt the notion that Snorri
was stupid and didn' t know that (Väster)götland WAS the mainland.
Especially since he probably WAS THERE. This would also explain the
definition Jo'tland = Reidgotaland explaind in Ynglingasaga. And I
assume also  icelandic Jo'tlandshaf for the sea between "Jo'tland"
and "Jo'tland".
I cannot interpret it otherwise unless  Snorri was very weird.
Remember that he specifically speaks about the " Dana wealth and the
Svea wealth"

Best Regards
Anders Malmqvist