[gothic-l] Snorri and skaldskaparmal

keth at ONLINE.NO keth at ONLINE.NO
Mon Jun 18 18:04:38 UTC 2001

Hi Anders,
Just a note on ON "meginland":
An Icelander told me that this corresponds fairly closely to
the similar sounding English "mainland".
Heggstad has "hovudland, fastland", which agrees.

But I'd also like to add that we here in Norway often speak of
"Europe" or "the Continent" as anything within Europe South
of Scandinavian countries, excepting the British isles.
So in our day-to-day consciousness we pretty much see ourselves as
"insular", just like I believe the British do. That is because
the only way to get to "Europe" is by ship.  (also plane nowadays)

Also, I don't think we say "I've been touring Europe" when we have
only visited Denmark. Somehow Jutland and the other Danish isles
also appear to us as islands. (or peninsulas)
Sweden is of course very much connected to Norway, via a long
common border - and so we are pretty much "in the same boat".

Of course I cannot speak for all Norwegians on this.
But I have noted this usage on several occasions, for example
in newspapers or among friends. Would you say any of this point
of view is also valid for Sweden ?

Remember that the ancients also described "Scania" as an island.
They probably knew better (see --> the story of Ottar's journey),
but for practical purposes there wasn't much differense between
a very long peninsula and living on an island.

Best regards
Keth

PS Of course "meginland" may also have been relative.
Thus the medieval Icelanders may have described Norway
as "meginland". But from a standpoint in Norway, it is
Norway that is the island, and continental Europe that
is "mainland".

PPS This may be relevant to a discussion of how the
old Goths saw the geography as well - especially before
they settled on the northern coast of "Reidgotaland".