[gothic-l] Snorri and skaldskaparmal

Tore Gannholm tore.gannholm at SWIPNET.SE
Tue Jun 19 07:03:46 UTC 2001

Hi Keth,

Did Ottar talk about Skania

I thought Scania was a much later word. Middle Ages. Lik Scandinavia.

Snorri new Gotland. In his time I don't think the words Scania and
Scandinavia were used yet. It probably started in the 15th century when
they rediscovered the old Roman authors and Olaus Magnus read Tacitus and
Plinius. He by mistake placed Tacitus and Plinius description of Gotland on
the Scandinavian penisula.

Heimskringla, the Olaf Sagas by Snorre Sturlason
translated by Samuel Laing
Everyman's library vol. 717 the Olaf Sgas och 847 Sagas of the Norse Kings
London & Toronto published by JM Dent & sons Ltd, 1915, reprinted 1930

"Many people who fled from the country on account of King Olaf Trygvesson
came out of Norway to Earl Eric; and the earl resolved to fit out ships and
go a cruising, in order to get property for himself and his people. First
he steered to Gotland, and lay there long in summer watching for merchant
vessels sailing towards the land, or for vikings. Sometimes he landed and
ravaged all round upon the sea-coasts."

" Foray in Sweden -
King Olaf steered thereafter eastwards to Sweden, and into Lake (Mælare),
and ravaged the land on both sides. He sailed all the way up to Sigtuna,
and laid his ships close to Old Sigtuna. The Swedes say the stone-heaps are
still to be seen which Olaf had laid under the ends of the gangways from
the shore to the ships. When autumn was advanced, Olaf Haraldsson heard
that Olaf the Swedish king was assembling an army, and also that he had
laid iron chains across Stoksund (the channel between the Mærlare lake and
the sea), and had laid troops there; for the Swedish king thought that Olaf
Haraldsson would be kept in there till frost came, and he thought little on
Olaf's force, knowing he had but few people. Now when King Olaf Haraldsson
came to Stoksund (The present Norrström between Lake Mælare and the sea on
the north side of the ancient Stockholm) he could not get through, as there
was a castle west of the sound, and men-at-arms lay on the south; and he
heard that the Swedish king was come there with a great army and many
ships. He therefore dug a canal across the flat land Agnefet out to the
sea. Over all Swithiod all the running water fall into the Mælare lake; but
the only outlet of it to the sea is so narrow that many rivers are wider,
and when much rain or snow falls the water rushes in a great cataract out
by Stoksund, and the lake rises high and floods the land.
The king sailed to Gotland in harvest, and prepared to plunder; but the
Gotlanders assembled, and sent men to the king, offering to pay scatt. The
king found this would suit him, and he received the scatt, and remained
there all winter."

"Fall of Gudleif and of Thorgaut Skarde. -
There was a man called Gudleif Gerske, who came originally from Agder. He
was a great merchant, who went far and wide by sea, was very rich, and
drove a trade with various countries. He often went east to Garderige
(Russia). This spring Gudleif fitted out his ship, and intended to go east
in summer to Russia. King Olaf sent a message to him that he wanted to
speak to him; and when Gudleif came to the king he told him he would go in
partenership with him, and told him to purchase some costly articles which
were difficult to be had in his country. Gudleif said that it should be
according to the king's desire. The king ordered as much money to be
delivered to Gudleif as he thought sufficient, and then Gudleif set out for
the Baltic. They lay in a sound in Gotland; and there it happened, as it
often does, that people cannot keep their own secrets, and the people of
the country came to know that in this ship was Olaf the Thick's partner.
Gudleif went in summer eastwards to Novgorod, where he bought fine and
costly clothes, which he intended for the king as a state dress; and also
precious furs, and remarkably splendid table utensils. In autumn, as
Gudleif was returning from the east, he met a contrary wind, and lay for a
long time at the island Oland."

"In Sweden itself (Swithiod) there is a part of the country called
Sudermanland, where there is also a bishopric. The third portion of Sweden
proper, or Swithiod, is called Tiundaland; the fourth Aattundaland; the
fifth Sioland, and what belongs to it lies eastward along the coast.
Tiundaland is the best and most inhabited part of Swithiod, or Sweden
proper, under which the other kingdoms stand. There Upsala is situated, the
seat of the king and archbishop; and from it Upsala-Ode, or the domain of
the Swedish kings, take its name. East of these divisions of the country
has its Lag-thing, and its own laws in many parts. Over each is a lagman
(or law-speaker), who rules principally in affairs of the bonders; for that
becomes law which he, by his speech, determines them to make law: and if
king, earl, or bishop goes through the country, and holds a Thing with the
bonders, the lagmen reply on account of the bonders, and they all follow
their lagmen; so that even the most powerful men scarcely dare to come to
their Al-thing without regarding the bonders' and lagmen's law. And in all
matters in which the laws differ from each other, Upsala-law is the
directing law; and the other lagmen are under the lagman who dwells in
Tiundaland."

"We may here shortly tell what happended a long time afte, - that this
Jokul fell in with King Olaf's men in the island  of Gotland, and the king
ordered him to be taken out to be beheaded"

"Of King Olaf's Journeyy from Russia.-
Immediately after Yule, King Olaf made himself ready; and had  about 200 of
his men with him. King Jarisleif gave him all the horses, and whatever else
he required; and when he was ready he set off. King Jarisleif and Queen
Ingigerd parted from him with all honour; and he left his son Magnus behind
with the king. The first part of his journey, down to the sea-coast, King
Olaf and his men made on the ice; but as spring approached, and the ice
broke up, they rigged their vessels, and when they were ready and got a
wing they set out to sea, and had a good voyage. When Olaf came to the
island of Gotland with his ships he heard the news - which was told as
truth, both in Sweden, Denmark, and over all Norway - that Earl Hakon was
missing, and Norway without a head. This gave the king and his men good
hope of the issue of their journey. From thence they sailed, when the wind
suited, to Sweden and went into the Mælare lake, to Westeraa (The present
Upsala), and sent men to the Swedish King Onund appointing a meeting. King
Onund received his brother-in-law's message in the kindest manner, and went
to him according to his invitation. Astrid also came to King Olaf, with the
men who had attended her; and great was the joy on all sides at this
meeting. The Swedish king also received his brother-in-law King Olaf with
great joy when they met."

Tore