[gothic-l] Snorri and skaldskaparmal

keth at ONLINE.NO keth at ONLINE.NO
Tue Jun 19 09:20:48 UTC 2001

Hi Tore,
You asked:

>Did Ottar talk about Skania

I referred to his journey along the West coast of Norway
up North towards Finnmark, and then Eastwards from there.
I meant that they must have known Botnia was closed, because
that would have made the trade route much shorter.
The North trade was pretty important. These routes connected to
Central Asia, the Silk road, etc.

I don't know if he mentions Skåne. It could be checked.

>I thought Scania was a much later word. Middle Ages. Lik Scandinavia.

I did not think about that.
I thought it had been Skåne all along.
(Valdemars skånske lov?)
Also Old Norse sources:
Skáni m. = Skåne
Skáneyrr f. =  Skanør
skánungar m. pl. = skåningar = people from Skåne.

>Snorri new Gotland. In his time I don't think the words Scania and
>Scandinavia were used yet. It probably started in the 15th century when
>they rediscovered the old Roman authors and Olaus Magnus read Tacitus and
>Plinius. He by mistake placed Tacitus and Plinius description of Gotland on
>the Scandinavian penisula.

"Heimskringla" mentions Skåne quite a few times.
For example in Olav den helliges saga.
If you have an edition with a good index, you'll find many.

Best regards
Keth