[gothic-l] Re: Christianisation of Crimean Goths

dirk at SMRA.CO.UK dirk at SMRA.CO.UK
Fri Jun 22 07:22:25 UTC 2001

--- In gothic-l at y..., andreas.schwarcz at u... wrote:
> Dear Dirk;
> Here is my reference:
>
> {HYPERLINK
"http://aleph.univie.ac.at:4505/ALEPH/RANDOM5042965/SCAN-ACC-X/0608774
4"}Gomolka-Fuchs, Gudrun [Hrsg.] {HYPERLINK
"http://aleph.univie.ac.at:4505/ALEPH/RANDOM5042965/SCAN-ACC-X/0090610
7"}1.Körperschaft
> {HYPERLINK
"http://aleph.univie.ac.at:4505/ALEPH/RANDOM5042965/FIND-ACC/00906107"
}Deutsches Archäologisches Institut <Berlin> / Römisch-Germanische
> Kommission {HYPERLINK
"http://aleph.univie.ac.at:4505/ALEPH/RANDOM5042965/SCAN-ACC-X/0608774
5"}Die Sîntana de Mures-Cernjachov-Kultur. Akten des
> internationalen Kolloquiums in Caputh vom 20. bis 24. Oktober 1995.
> Römisch-Germanische Kommission, Eurasien-Abteilung. Hrsg. von
> Gudrun Gomolka-Fuchs.  Bonn {HYPERLINK
"http://aleph.univie.ac.at:4505/ALEPH/RANDOM5042965/SCAN-ACC-X/0013321
7"}Verlag {HYPERLINK
"http://aleph.univie.ac.at:4505/ALEPH/RANDOM5042965/FIND-ACC/00133217"
}Habelt Jahr 1999,

> especially the article of Karl von der Lohe on the Crimea. Alexandr
> Aibabin and a lot of other archeologists from Russia, Moldavia and
> Ucraina were also there and agreed with von der Lohe on the subject.
> was there, too, and discussed the theme with them.
> If Aibabin published anything disagreeing with the results of this
> conference, I should like to have the reference.
> Kind regards,
>         Andreas

Hello Andreas,

I had now the chance to go through Aleksandr Aibabin's book "The
Ethnic History of the Early Byzantine Crimea", 1999 (Etnicheskaya
istoria rannevizantiskogo krima). As was indicated earlier by other
writings of Aibabin and others, he definitely argues that Germanic
people settled on the Crimean peninsula as early as from the middle of
the 3rd century. He does not even seem to regard this as
controversial.

Aibabin makes the same argument in the following book which I also got
at the British Library:

Archeologie de la mer Noire. la Crime aepoque des Grandes
Invasions IVe-VIIIe siecles. Conseil regional de Basse-
Normandie, 30 mai-1er septembre 1997.

His argument is based on archaeological evidence from a number of
cemetaries, which contain 'Germanic cremation burrials' - as listed
earlier. Aibabin points out that a first wave of Alans settled in
central Crimea in the 240s, in the 250s Goths and Borani followed, and
settled mainly in the southern  regions of the Crimean and the Kerch
peninsula. Some cemetaries like Chernaya reka shows that
Goths/Germanic people and Alans sometimes lived closely together.

cheers,

Dirk