[gothic-l] Re: Exhibition on the Vandals, Vaernamo in Vaerend, Sweden

dirk at SMRA.CO.UK dirk at SMRA.CO.UK
Fri Jun 22 11:26:51 UTC 2001

I would like to know what sort of artefacts are on display in the
exhibition. For example, there is a Vandalic exhibition in the British
Museum, which shows artifacts from North Africa, but states that there
is no way of knowing whether they are really Vandalic/Alanic, but have
been tentatively attributed on the basis of their 'barbaric'
appearance. So does this exhibition identify anything 'typical'
Vandalic in style or manufacture?

In Europe, the only artefacts that could be called Vandalic are those
found in the context of the Oder/Warthe/Przeworks culture. But this
culture included several tribes and it covered a large area. Does this
exhibition include any Przeworsk objects, perhaps with new insights
about the development and spread of this group? The title of the book,
i.e. 'the true history of the Vandals...' is intriguing and I will try
to get it myself, but can I ask what distinguishes this history from
other historical accounts, which makes it the 'true history'?

cheers,
Dirk