[gothic-l] Re: Goth=Gad

Tim O'Neill scatha at BIGPOND.COM
Mon Jun 25 22:35:19 UTC 2001

It's not a joke unfortunately.  There's a weird
branch of fundamentalist Christians called
'British Israelites' who believe the twelve lost
tribes of Israel wandered into northern Europe
and founded England, amongst other places.

They believe that all the passages in the Old
Testament which speak of 'Israel' are actually
prophecies about Great Britain and America.  My
brother was briefly mixed up with a church like
this for a while until some of their more racist
and anti-evolutionary ideas drove him away.
They publish whole books of this stuff, most of
based on the principle that if a European name
of a tribe or place *sounds* like something from
the Bible then it's proof of their theory.

I once had one argue that there was a Old Testament
patriarch called Eber and that his name was
reflected in various names in Scotland and Wales -
Aberswynth, Aberfeldy etc.  I got a map and showed
him that Aberswynth was at the mouth of the river
Swynth and Aberfeldy was at the mouth of the river
Feldy and that all the 'Aber-' placenames in Wales
and Scotland were at the mouths of rivers.  Surely,
I said, the logical conclusion is that this is a
Celtic word for 'river mouth'.  He changed the
subject.

There's little point in trying to reason with these
people.  *GOD* has told them they're right.

Tim O'Neill